MILFORD: At 9:26 p.m. on April 10, East Hants District RCMP responded to a call indicating a vehicle was off the road in the median in Milford, and the driver had a long gun in his possession. Police attended the area and attempted to make contact with the driver but he did not respond to police. Highway 102 was closed between Exits 8 and 10 for public safety reasons and to allow police to contain the area while the Emergency Response Team (ERT) was called to assist. The RCMP then received information that indicated that previous to the report of the vehicle in the median, there was a related incident in the parking lot of the shopping mall in Elmsdale. Witnesses told police a similar vehicle had been there, a loud bang was heard, and the vehicle left the area in a hurry, in the direction of Milford. The suspect in the vehicle was arrested without incident by ERT at approximately 1:25 a.m. Police located and seized a loaded shotgun from the front seat of the vehicle. RCMP officers noticed signs of alcohol impairment on the driver and transported him to Enfield Detachment for a breath test. He refused the test and was lodged in cells for the night.
The 36-year-old man from Halifax is facing charges of:
· Careless use of a firearm
· Possession of a firearm in motor vehicle
· Discharge firearm by portion of highway
· Breach of recognizance (two counts)
· Firearm or weapon possession contrary to prohibition order
· Possession of a Firearm for dangerous purpose
· Transporting a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle
· Possession of prohibited weapon
· Impaired operation of a motor vehicle
· Failure or refusal to comply with demand
He will appear in Shubenacadie Provincial Court today.
We will continue to update the story after the court appearance.