Halifax man appears in court for Milford incident

Featured Online First

MILFORD: The 36-year-old man charged in the standoff that closed Highway 102 between exit 8-10 on April 10 has made his first court appearance.

Eric Michael Young, of Halifax, appeared briefly in Shubenacadie Provincial Court on April 11 on a slew of offences related to the incident that detoured motorists at Elmsdale and down Highway 214 to Highway 2.

East Hants District RCMP responded at 9:26 p.m. to a call indicating a vehicle was off the road in the median in Milford on Highway 102, and the driver had a long gun in his possession.

Police attended the area and attempted to make contact with the driver, but he did not respond to police.

Highway 102 was closed between Exits 8 and 10 for public safety reasons and to allow police to contain the area while the Emergency Response Team (ERT) was called to assist.

At that time, police received information that indicated that previous to the report of the vehicle in the median, there was a related incident in the parking lot of the shopping mall in Elmsdale. Witnesses told police a similar vehicle had been there, a loud bang was heard, and the vehicle left the area in a hurry, in the direction of Milford.

Young was arrested without incident by ERT at approximately 1:25 a.m. on April 11.

Police located and seized a loaded shotgun from the front seat of the vehicle. RCMP officers noticed signs of alcohol impairment on the driver and transported him to Enfield Detachment for a breath test. He refused the test and was lodged in cells for the night.

Young is charged with: two counts of breach of recognizance; careless use of a firearm; possession of a firearm in motor vehicle; discharge firearm by portion of highway; transporting a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle; firearm or weapon possession contrary to prohibition order; possession of a firearm for dangerous purpose; possession of prohibited weapon; impaired operation of a motor vehicle; failure or refusal to comply with demand

He was remanded and appeared in court April 15 for a show cause hearing.

The N.S. Public Prosecution Service said the defence consented to a 30-day assessment pursuant to determine if Young is criminally responsible due to a mental disorder.

Young was ordered to return to court on May 13 and will remain in custody until at least then.