Province ordered to pay Sipekne’katik

Enfield-news

SIPEKNE’KATIK: The Nova Scotia Supreme Court has ordered the province to pay most of the $75k court costs to Sipekne’katik First Nation over it’s ongoing fight related to the Alton Gas project

In the judgment, released Sept. 28, Justice Suzanne Hood of the Supreme Court ruled N.S. had been unfair in its decision to reject the complaints about the storage proposal, located just outside of Stewiacke.

In her decision, Hood said the province is liable for 65 per cent of that amount. The remaining 35 per cent is to be paid by Alton Natural Gas Storage LP. The $75,000 represents about half of what the First Nation community, outside of Shubenacadie, spent on its court challenge.

Sipekne’katik won a court decision earlier in 2017 against the province and the operators of the proposed storage site. They argued the plans to flush out salt beds to create natural gas storage caverns are a danger to the Shubenacadie River and its fish species.

The band argued it had not been properly consulted prior to Nova Scotia Environment’s decision in Jan. 2016.

SHARE
Previous articleDoctors NS clarifies that they are the provinces physicians
Next articleMEH sends letter to Transport Canada over helicopter complaints
Patrick Healey
Pat has grown up in East Hants, having called Milford, and now Enfield home. He graduated from the journalism program at Holland College in 2001, and has spent time at newspapers in NL and Alberton and Summerside, PEI before becoming a reporter/photographer at The Weekly Press/The Laker in October 2008. He has a rescue kitty named Asha that is much loved—and spoiled. Pat is also our "social engagement guru." Check him out on twitter!